08 February 2006

a million little pieces

I'm reading the book. I'm halfway through. Here's what I think so far...

There are pieces of wisdom. There are things he says, and the way he says them, that have made me take pause. I've nodded my head. I've thought, "wow".

There are also some lame parts, some pretty lame writing, but then, the parts that are compelling call me back, and I keep reading. It's kind of weird, though...reading it, knowing that parts of it aren't factual. So, it's hard not to find myself wondering "oh, so I wonder if this REALLY happened". But I'm also finding that I don't really care. And I'm not sure I'm reading it all that much differently than I'd be reading it if I didn't know there were inherent fabrications.

Parts are well-written. In the sense that...they are poignant, and they bring me in and make me sympathize, or be repelled...they get a reaction out of me. And then, there's his habit of capitalizing words that really, grammatically, should definitely not be capitalized. So that annoys me. But I try to see how perhaps he's doing it for some sort of emphasis. I mean, he must be.

I'm enjoying the read.

Thus far, I'd say, Oprah be damned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home