14 May 2006

Long shot

Ok, I realize this is a long shot. But I'm just wondering if any of my 2-3 readers might be able to help me out on this, or know someone who could help me.

It relates to baseball scorekeeping. i.e. Filling in the scorecard.

I started learning to do this last season, with the help of some online tutorials. There are many different ways of filling in a scorecard, but I found one way I was comfortable with, and basically understood, and went with that.

This was just for my own enjoyment...an oddball little challenge for myself, to make things more fun. And to keep my mind from wandering.

Well, this season, I've been asked by The Boy's coach a couple of times to be the official scorekeeper at their games, because the person who usually does it wasn't there. My way of doing it is a little more involved than the approach they usually take, but he's alright with it. He's just glad to have someone doing it.

See, I count all pitches, which usually isn't done (mark them down as pitch 1 strike, pitch 2 foul, pitch 3 strike....etc.) and I score the runs as a dot in the centre, when the more common way is to just colour in the diamond to show a run scored.

Anyhow......in D-man's last game, there was this one play that I didn't know how to notate. The batter hit the ball straight at the pitcher, and the pitcher ran over to first and touched the bag for the out.

I had no idea what to write down.

I asked the coach after the game and he was stymied, too. It doesn't happen very often. It's a weird play.

I tried to join a scorekeeping forum online and they have yet to send me my password so I can post a question. It's been 4 days. grrrrrrrr.

This is not critically important, just one of those things in the back of your mind that gets on your nerves.

2 Comments:

At 7/7/06 9:52 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_scorekeeping
http://www.baseballscorecard.com/

The correct way to score that play is U1... Unassisted putout from player position#1

 
At 16/7/06 11:31 a.m., Blogger Brown said...

Robert...YoU ROCK! Makes total sense, High 5, brutha. Thanks!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home