02 July 2006

Canada Day!

We went down to the Canada Day celebrations for a couple of hours. I encountered...MOUNTIES!!!

It seems to me like many Americans think Mounties are the Face of Canadian Law Enforcement, but it's actually pretty rare you encounter an RCMP officer in their reds.

So I wanted to snap a picture. It seemed very festive, and patriotic and shit. So I positioned myself to take a quick photo, enroute to the line-up for the bouncy castle. And then...

See how he's pointing?? He's pointing AT ME.

He shouts, "YOU! NO! Come over here!"

Brownie is now shaking in her boots (flip-flops, actually) thinking,"HOLY SHIT WHAT DID I DO? Is it against the law to take a photo of a mountie without permission?? What is this post 9-11 world coming to??"

He calls me over. I scurry. He says, pointing beside him, "Stand here. Is that your daughter? Call her over here. This man here will take the picture", he points at the dude in the blue baseball cap with the sunglasses that was standing to the side of him. Dude is taken off-guard too, and scurries to grab my camera from me and do as he is instructed. BY THE RCMP. What else was he gonna do??!



Ms J looks like she is having a mug shot taken. And Ms C looks like she's delerious. Me, I just look like "I'm scared, but I must smile for the camera. This is the opportunity of a lifetime..."

2 Comments:

At 3/7/06 6:48 a.m., Blogger Sunny said...

Brown! You all look HILLARIOUS. I love the Mountie, he's very take-charge.

Actually, that's a lot like what happened when I saw my Mounties in Toronto. Only mine were... mounted. They were very firm when I tried to take pictures on the sly, insisting (you know, in the form of offering to pose with me instead of get sly pictures taken) that I pose with them.

My theory is that they have some sort of rule: if a picture is going to be taken of the RCMP, it must be a picture in which they are looking happy but in charge, and the civillian is looking scared shitless. Sometimes cowering between two giant horses.

Damn, I wish I had that picture.

 
At 3/7/06 7:07 a.m., Blogger Sunny said...

Ok, in honor of your Mountie experience, I posted a drawing of my speculation as to how the picture probably looks. Enjoy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home